Friday, October 8, 2010

Week 7-Post 2: Refuting an Argument

In Chapter 7 of the Epstein text I came across a interesting section called "Refuting an Argument". According to Epstein, direct ways of refuting an argument is "show that at least one of the premises is dubious, show that the argument isn't valid or strong, show that the conclusion is false" (149). I learned that at least one of those three rules I described above is necessary to prove or go against someones argument to show that its false and the argument will no longer be valid or strong. So the point in refuting an argument is to show evidence or prove that someones argument is false or prove them wrong. I also came across a section "Attempts to refute that are bad arguments" where I learned that in rational discussion its very bad to use ridicule as a device to go refutes ones argument. Epstein states, "It ends arguments, belittles the other person, and makes enemies" (151). For example, lets say my friend says " I want to become a doctor because because I like to help people". I ridicule his argument by saying, " You don't have the dedication and smarts to ever be a doctor and laugh at his statement and idea of becoming a doctor one day". By ridiculing an argument or a refute i am only ending the argument and making insulting the person like Epstein describes in the quote above.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your explanation and example of how to refute an argument. You explained it very well on how to refute an argument correctly without making fun of the other person. It would be very easy to ridicule the other person in order to "win" an argument, but it is not the correct way to do so. If everyone tried to argue with those intentions, this world would be a crazy place. I like how you highlight the main idea of what the main idea of refuting an argument, which is "to show evidence or prove that someones argument is false or prove them wrong." That sentence basically sums of the section of that chapter.

    ReplyDelete