Friday, October 22, 2010

Week 9-Post 1-General Claims

In the Epstein text I read a section "General Claims and Their Contradictories" and Epstein states that "some" and "all" can be ambiguous. Epstein states, "All means 'Every single one, no exceptions.'Sometimes all is meant as 'Every single one, and is at least one.' Which reading is best may depend on the argument and some means 'at least one.' Sometimes some is meant as 'at least one, but not at all" (160). So in other words Epstein explains two different general claims which have to do with "all" and "some" general claims. For example, When I was in high school I was the first one of my five friends to drive. So they would all want rides, but my car is camaro that could only seat 3 other people. So i said, "I can give some of you guys of ride, but not all because my car can only fit three people". This is an example supporting or showing how "some" general claims work.
I will know explain "all" general claims by using a similar example. For example, After my camaro decided to break down on me in high school. My parents let me used their SUV which can sit 7 people. Then i told my friends, " All five of you can get a ride whenever you need one". So in difference from "some" this example shows that every single of my friends will get a ride, no exception because I have enough room to fit all of them. With my camaro I could only fit some firends but at least one friend would get a ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment