Saturday, November 6, 2010

Week 11-Post 3: Call in your Debts

According to Epstein, an argument that "calls in in your debts" appeals to the opposite of spite: "You should believe or do something if you owe someone a favor"(193). I found this interesting because this appeal to emotion is true and I never thought this would be an appeal to emotion. People always do feel pressure to do things for a friend or someone close because they either owe them a favor or have a debt with them. For example, my friend asked me this past Tuesday if I could take him to his doctors appointment. I really did not want to take him because I was busy and he wanted me to take him during traffic hours. So I told him I couldn't take him. So my friend went on to reply remember all those times I bought you food and helped you with your homework assignments. So I felt bad and felt that I owe my friend to take him to the doctors so I took him. This example is using the appeal to emotion of "calls in your debts". So I just found this appeal to emotion really interesting because it actually happens all the time and people do things they really don't want to do because they owe someone a favor as well as many other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment