Friday, November 12, 2010

Week 12-Post 2: Deductive Reasoning

The type of reasoning that I found most difficult to understand was Deductive reasoning. Even when I read the meaning for deductive reasoning, I had trouble understanding how to understand the meaning and think of a real world example. According to changingminds.org, deductive reasoning or deduction starts with a general case and deduces specific instances. From the link that I will provide below, I learned that deduction starts with an assumed hypothesis or theory. The assumed hypothesis might be accepted right away or might not be as accepted but the argument is not questioned or argued against. I also learned that deduction is used by scientist that take a general scientific law and apply it this scientific law to case and which they assume that this scientific law is true. According to wisegeek.com I found interesting is that deductive reasoning is one of the two basic forms of valid reasoning. So in difference from inductive reasoning that argues from the particular to general, deductive reasoning argues from the general to specific instance. So in away deductive and inductive are similar in style, but the way they are use to reason are use differently.

http://changingminds.org/disciplines/argument/types_reasoning/deduction.htm

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-deductive-reasoning.htm

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I also had a little trouble with deductive reasoning as well. I got confuse with the deductive and inductive at first but reading this post does help me understand it more clearly. I like how you explain how scientists use this concept to apply scientific laws. When I was doing my post I also notice that this concept work well with math as well. The use of this type of concept is pretty much the same way as in science. Anyway this was a really good post, I think this reasoning can also be confusing to some people as well; you did a great job explaining this type of reasoning.

    ReplyDelete