Friday, September 3, 2010

"Monitoring Perceptions in Groups" -Question 3 (Post 3)

     In Chapter 2: "Participation In Small Groups" Dan O' Hair and Mary O. Wiemann make good points in "Monitoring Perceptions in Groups". O'Hair and Wiemann go on to talk about how group members have or come up with perceptions about other people that may sometimes not be true. In other words the authors are talking about how assumptions can be made about people among a group but these assumptions aren't always true. O'Hair and Wiemann state, " in short, you can make many interpretations of another person's behavior, but not all of them will be accurate" (13). This section in the book caught my attention because it is very true what the authors are talking about. People can have a perception of another person just by looking at them or by what they have. In general people are just judge mental and will always critique someone without truly knowing them. For instance some people might have a perception of me as a quiet guy who isn't much fun, but the people who actually know me know that i am a outgoing person always willing to try new things. So people will always have perceptions of other people, but if they stop to think that these perceptions of the person might not always be true because they are just "perceptions".

1 comment:

  1. I completely agreed with that section of the book as well. I am often assumed to be a quiet person that focuses entirely too much on school. Even though I do spend quite a bit of time on my academics, there is much more to me. For this reason, I try very hard not to pass judgment on other people in my study groups, or anywhere for that matter. For instance, I have had several group members that appeared to be somewhat lazy as we were discussing the project at hand. But, later in the week when our assignment was due, they showed up with impressive visual aids and thorough research that I was not expecting. It is definitely not right to judge someone by a first impression.

    ReplyDelete