Saturday, September 18, 2010

Week 4-Post 2: Bad Appeal to Common Belief or Practice Fallacy


I was looking at all the Content fallacies and the one that grabbed my attention and that I could relate to was bad appeal to common belief or practice fallacy. Bad appeal to common belief fallacy means if a group or certain people believe that something is true then it must be true. There are many real world examples that came to my mind but they all date back to my childhood times. For example, in elementary school every kid in my school started collecting Pokemon trading cards and all the kids wanted to collect all 150 cards so because everyone else was collecting these cards I also started to want them. So I convince my parents to buy me the packages of cards at least one package of cards each week until I collected all of them. The Pokemon cards were pricy, but I thought I needed to have them but I only wanted the cards because everyone else had them. Another example, in the 7th grade most kids in the school started wearing air force one shoes and I had to have them to because it was the trend that every cool kid must have. So I had my parent’s buy me a pair of air forces ones because I wanted a pair shoes that everyone else was wearing so that I wouldn’t feel left out. They were the coolest shoes at that time and is a belief that everyone was following.

No comments:

Post a Comment