Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Subjective and Objective Claims

    Subjective and Objective claims are part of our everyday vocabulary but we just don’t realize that we use them all the time.
    Subjective claims are those found to be true or false depending on a person’s point of view.So my girlfriend and I have different taste in foods but we seem to always reach a compromise. So when she always tries to explain to everyone how I am such a picky eater she points out meals that she loves which I do not like. For example, She will say, “Pasta is the best meal ever!” Trust me she says it with so much enthusiasm and excitement. As for myself and I believe many other people may agree that pasta is not the best meal ever.
As for and objective it is a statement that can be proven right or wrong which is based on facts or proof. This is not a statement that can be proven to be right or wrong, based on ones opinion.
For example today in class I was talking to a fellow classmate about football. He went on to ask me what my favorite football team was and I told him that I liked the SF 49ers. My classmate went on to bash the Niners because he liked the Oakland Raiders so; we began to talk about the football game that they recently played against each other in a pre-season game this past Saturday. He went on to say, “The 49ers suck that’s why they lost against the Raiders.” This then became the objective statement. The reason is because the statement is false and can be proven to be false anywhere online and by any of those people who watched the game. In reality the Niners beat the Raiders in their own turf this past Saturday. It comes to show and prove the Niners don’t suck.
            As we can see no matter what situation or argument one gets into there will always be an Objective or Subjective claim.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I like your example of your girlfriend saying "Pasta is the best meal ever". Although I love to eat pasta, this statement is only a subjective claim because it is based on her opinion. I hear many of my friends say Jack in the Box or McDonalds has the best fast food. Although I agree with some of them, it's still a subjective claim. I also like how you use the 49ers and the Raiders as an example for your objective claim. I am also a 49ers fan and their practice and training field is close to my house. Although the example seems to sound like a subjective claim its an objective claim because you state the Raiders beat the 49ers. Although it is a fact it is a false one because the 49ers did win the preseason game.

    ReplyDelete