Friday, September 17, 2010

Week 4-Post 1: Complex Arguments

3. Las Vegas has too many people.1There's not enough water in the desert to support more then a million people.2 And the Infrastructure of the city can't handle more then a million: The streets are overcrowded, and traffic is always congested; the schools are overcrowded and new one's cant be built fast enough.3 We should stop migration to the city by tough zoning laws in the city and country.4
Argument: Yes
Conclusion: We should stop migration to the city by tough zoning laws in the city and country.
Additional Premises needed:Its best to continue claims 1,2,3,4 AND 5 a better ending sentence that joins all arguments together,
Identify any Subargument:2&3 are independent arguments that help support claim 1.
Good Arguments:The Argument is overall valid but the concluding sentence needs to be improved in order to to help support and prove a better ending sentence.
 I found this exercise  to be useful. The reason is that it helped me identify the claims to an argument but also helped me identify when an argument is not correct. The best part about this exercise is that it was easy and it provided the tools into small subgroups that helped identify weather the argument has sufficient evidence and a strong conclusion to prove the argument correct or not. Also this exercise helps improve our arguments and may help us in the long run write and share a proper argument with others. I believe that exercises like this help improve our writing and arguments.

1 comment:

  1. At first I was planning to do the third exercise for my post but after I read the second one, I chose that one instead. I chose it because it seem shorter and simpler than the third exercise. It also took me a while to get the third exercise. Although, if I were to do exercise three like you, I would probably had came up with the same conclusion as yours. The argument was pretty valid and it need improvement in order to make it better. I also agree with you that this type of exercise helps you identify whether the argument is good or not. Great job on finishing this exercise.

    ReplyDelete